Spanish NIE’s and Visas

We Help You Get a Spanish NIE or Visa


This is a tax ID number for non-Spanish citizens. It connects them to the Spanish government and is required to do almost anything in Spain: hire internet service, utilities, buy property, accept a job, etc.

Immigrant Visa

This allows a citizen of a Non-EU country to live in Spain legally. Some also allow them to work. Citizens of an EU country already have these rights and do not need an Immigrant Visa.


NIE’s – Two Types


Certificate of Residence NIE

It’s For: A citizen of a European Union (EU) country, Switzerland or Norway who qualifies as a Spanish ‘resident‘ (for a definition see the FAQ below). They must apply for a ‘Certificate of Residence’ and on the certificate is the NIE.
Process. Apply at the police station in the Spanish municipality where you live. The processing time depends on the station, in Barcelona about three weeks.

Temporary NIE

It’s For: Everyone else, EU-citizens who don’t qualify as a Spanish ‘resident’ and all Non-EU citizens. It’s a piece of paper with the NIE written on it, valid 90 days and renewable. It only allows you to do certain acts in Spain, such as hire utilities or buy property. It does not allow you to live or work in Spain.
Process. Apply  at any authorized police station or a Spanish embassy. The processing time varies, in Barcelona about three weeks.

It’s a long list because you will be living in Spain.
1) The Application and a copy
2) Your Passport and a copy
3) Your Empadronamiento Certificate issued by your City government.
4) A Health Insurance Policy. If you have a work contract you’re already enrolled in Spain’s health system and won’t need this.
5) Money. A bank account that shows the following funds:
a) 5,136.60€ for the Applicant
b) 8,732.22€ for the Applicant and one dependent
c) 12,327.84€ for the Applicant and two dependents
d) 15,923.46€ for the Applicant and four dependents
6) Dependents. If you apply with a non-Spanish spouse or non-Spanish children, you must also show:
a) Your Marriage Certificate
b) Spouse’s Passport
c) Childrens’ Birth Certificate or Passport


It’s a short list because you won’t be living in Spain.
1) The Application and a copy
2) Your Passport and a copy
3) A letter issued by a Spanish Notary Public explaining the reason you want a NIE


Immigrant Visas


Citizens of a Non-EU country must have an Immigrant Visa, called a Residence Permit, to live or work in Spain legally. Citizens of some countries, such as the USA, may reside in Spain for 90 days without a visa; for any time beyond that a Visa is required. We assist with two types.


I. Golden (or Property) Visa

It’s for people who purchase Spanish property, stock or national bonds. It allows you to work and there is no residency requirement. This means you don’t have to live or file an income tax return in Spain.

You must:
1) Purchase property(s) that costs 500,000€ or more and pay at least 500,000€ of it in cash. The property can be a house, flat, building, land or any combination. If you have purchased property since 2014, you might still qualify; or
2) Purchase 1,000,000€ worth of shares in a Spanish company(s) or
3) Purchase 2,000,000€ worth of Spanish national bonds (public debt).

II. Wealth Visa

In Spanish it’s called ‘Visa no Lucrativa’. It’s for people who can show they have a certain amount of monthly income, or savings, to live in Spain. It does not allow you to work.

You must show you have enough income in one of two ways:
1) Monthly Income. You receive at least 2,500€ per month from a permanent source such as a trust fund or pension. Interest received from a bank account or mutual fund does not qualify or
2) Savings. The average balance in your bank account(s) for the year preceding your visa application equals from app 35,000€ to 77,000€. The exact amount depends on several factors including the Embassy where you apply. We recommend at least 77,000€. The account(s) must be in your name only and you can withdraw the money at will. The amount increases if there are dependents on your visa application. The visa is valid for one year and is renewable.

Basic Requirements

Normally you apply at the Spanish Embassy in your resident country. Your spouse, and children under 18 years old, may be included on your application. Below are some of the required documents.

The following are always required. There may be more depending on the Embassy and your country of origin and residence.
1) A police certificate issued by your country of residence
2) A current medical certificate
3) A full health insurance policy valid in Spain
4) A valid lease or rental contract with an address in Spain

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

No. A NIE does not allow you to live or work in Spain. It’s only gives you a tax ID number so you can do certain things in Spain, such as hire utilities or buy property. To live and work in Spain legally, non-EU citizens must go through the immigration process and obtain an immigrant visa.
You do not need an immigrant visa but you need a NIE.
Visa. Citizens of an EU country already have the right to work and live in Spain legally. They do not need to go through the immigration process and obtain a visa.
NIE. This is needed to do almost anything in Spain (accept a job, rent a flat, hire utilities, etc). If you don’t want to live in Spain, you can apply for a tempropary NIE.
Certificate of Citzenship. If, however, you want to live in Spain for more than 183 days per year, or if you otherwise qualify as a Spanish resident, you must apply for a certificate of citzenship. On the certificate is the important NIE number.
A Spanish resident is a person who files an annual income tax return in Spain. Spain requires that they report their world-wide income and, if necessary, pay taxes on it. You are a Spanish resident, and thus must file a tax return, in one of three ways:

1) You spend more than 183 days or more in Spain in one calendar year. The days do not have to be consecutive, it’s the total.

2) You spend less than 183 days per year in Spain, but your spouse lives in Spain and you’re not legally separated.

There is an exception to these two: If you can prove you’re a tax resident of another country, it might exempt you from being a resident of Spain. Each case must be analyzed separately.

3) Your “center of vital interests” is in Spain. This means your economic or professional activities are based in Spain and it’s where you earn substantial income. You are then a tax resident and have to pay taxes in Spain.

If you are a resident of Spain, you must apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. This gives you a taxpayer ID number called a NIE. You use this number to file your taxes in Spain.

A tax resident of Spain is someone who qualifies as a Spanish ‘resident’ as described in the questions above. As a Spanish resident you must report your annual world-wide income in Spain and, if necessary, pay taxes on it. There are exceptions. Contact us for advice.

Need some help?

We can obtain a NIE for you in Barcelona fast and cheap. For taxes, we work with a Spanish tax attorney who specializes on tax issues for non-Spaniards. These issues can be tricky. A good tax attorney is very important. Feel free to call or email for some advice. Thanks again for visiting our site.

Give us a call or send an email.


Nameyour full name
0 /